Wednesday 12 May 2010

May 11th


Morning Readings
The Song of Moses

Deuteronomy 32:1-12

1 Listen, O heavens, and I will speak;
hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.
2 Let my teaching fall like rain
and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants.
3 I will proclaim the name of the LORD.
Oh, praise the greatness of our God!
4 He is the Rock, his works are perfect,
and all his ways are just.
A faithful God who does no wrong,
upright and just is he.
5 They have acted corruptly toward him;
to their shame they are no longer his children,
but a warped and crooked generation.
6 Is this the way you repay the LORD,

O foolish and unwise people?
Is he not your Father, your Creator,
who made you and formed you?
7 Remember the days of old;

consider the generations long past.
Ask your father and he will tell you,
your elders, and they will explain to you.
8 When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance,

when he divided all mankind,
he set up boundaries for the peoples
according to the number of the sons of Israel.
9 For the LORD's portion is his people,

Jacob his allotted inheritance.
10 In a desert land he found him,

in a barren and howling waste.
He shielded him and cared for him;
he guarded him as the apple of his eye,
11 like an eagle that stirs up its nest

and hovers over its young,
that spreads its wings to catch them
and carries them on its pinions.
12 The LORD alone led him;
no foreign god was with him.

Deuteronomy 32:15-29


15 Jeshurun grew fat and kicked;

filled with food, he became heavy and sleek.
He abandoned the God who made him
and rejected the Rock his Savior.
16 They made him jealous with their foreign gods

and angered him with their detestable idols.
17 They sacrificed to demons, which are not God—

gods they had not known,
gods that recently appeared,
gods your fathers did not fear.
18 You deserted the Rock, who fathered you;

you forgot the God who gave you birth.
19 The LORD saw this and rejected them

because he was angered by his sons and daughters.
20 "I will hide my face from them," he said,

"and see what their end will be;
for they are a perverse generation,
children who are unfaithful.
21 They made me jealous by what is no god

and angered me with their worthless idols.
I will make them envious by those who are not a people;
I will make them angry by a nation that has no understanding.
22 For a fire has been kindled by my wrath,

one that burns to the realm of death below.
It will devour the earth and its harvests
and set afire the foundations of the mountains.
23 "I will heap calamities upon them

and spend my arrows against them.
24 I will send wasting famine against them,

consuming pestilence and deadly plague;
I will send against them the fangs of wild beasts,
the venom of vipers that glide in the dust.
25 In the street the sword will make them childless;

in their homes terror will reign.
Young men and young women will perish,
infants and gray-haired men.
26 I said I would scatter them

and blot out their memory from mankind,
27 but I dreaded the taunt of the enemy,

lest the adversary misunderstand
and say, 'Our hand has triumphed;
the LORD has not done all this.' "
28 They are a nation without sense,

there is no discernment in them.
29 If only they were wise and would understand this

and discern what their end will be!

Deuteronomy 32:48-51

48 On that same day the LORD told Moses, 49 "Go up into the Abarim Range to Mount Nebo in Moab, across from Jericho, and view Canaan, the land I am giving the Israelites as their own possession. 50 There on the mountain that you have climbed you will die and be gathered to your people, just as your brother Aaron died on Mount Hor and was gathered to his people. 51 This is because both of you broke faith with me in the presence of the Israelites at the waters of Meribah Kadesh in the Desert of Zin and because you did not uphold my holiness among the Israelites.

Evening Readings
The Sower


Matthew 13:1-17

31"To what, then, can I compare the people of this generation? What are they like? 32They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling out to each other: " 'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not cry.' 33For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, 'He has a demon.' 34The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." '

Matthew 11:20-30

20Then Jesus began to denounce the cities in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent. 21"Woe to you, Korazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. 22But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the Day of Judgment than for you. 23And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted up to the skies? No, you will go down to the depths. If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. 24But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the Day of Judgment than for you." 25At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure. 27"All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Leaves for Plucking
Luke 9:23

23Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

2 Timothy 3:12

12In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,

Revelation 2:10

10Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.